State

Closing of Char Dham portals marks preparation for next phase: Maharaj

PIONEER EDGE NEWS SERVICE/Dehradun

The closure of the Char Dham portals has officially begun, marking the onset of preparations for the Winter Char Dham Yatra, the Uttarakhand Tourism, Religious Affairs and Culture minister Satpal Maharaj said. He stated that significant steps are being taken to ensure the smooth transition into the winter pilgrimage season. The portals of Gangotri temple were closed for the winter after the ceremonial worship of Goddess Ganga with Vedic rituals on the occasion of Annakoot and Govardhan Puja on Wednesday. The worship of Goddess Ganga will now continue at her winter abode in Mukhwa. Maharaj said that the Char Dham Yatra strengthens Uttarakhand’s economy and urged devotees to visit the winter abode of the deities in Mukhwa ( Gangotri), Kharsali ( Yamunotri), Ukhimath (Kedarnath) and Jyotirmath (Badrinath) to receive blessings during the winter pilgrimage season. He prayed to Goddess Ganga for peace, prosperity and progress in the lives of all devotees, adding that the closing of the temple portals symbolises the beginning of the next stage of the pilgrimage cycle. He informed that after the closure of Gangotri temple, the portals of Yamunotri temple will be closed on Thursday, on the occasion of Bhai Dooj. He appealed to pilgrims to visit the winter abode during the winters to continue their spiritual journey. The minister said that, like last year, a large number of devotees undertook the Char Dham Yatra this season. So far, 6,44,366 pilgrims have visited Yamunotri, 7,57,762 have visited Gangotri, 17,45,065 have visited Kedarnath and 15,24,942 have visited Badrinath. A total of 49.46 lakh devotees have visited the Char Dhams this year and the number is expected to cross 50 lakh by the time all temple doors close, he added.

Related Articles

Back to top button